zoning permits perth


Setting up a new business or investing in commercial property is always an exciting prospect, but are you across all the government requirements to be able to do it? If you choose to start out by purchasing a block of land, it is a good idea to ascertain what the zoning is from the very outset. Zoning determines how a block of land (and any property built on that land) is designated, and therefore how it can be utilised. Land may be zoned for residential, commercial, mixed-use, business or industrial use. In Western Australia, local government controls land zoning, we recommend asking your local council’s planning department for more information. Furthermore, depending on what you plan to use the land for, you may also need specific permits or approvals to build and operate your business. In Perth, commercial property has its own set of regulations and requirements that differ from residential property.


As a start, your local council is always the best place to begin researching. All local councils are different, and therefore the property rules are likely to vary from council to council. For example, some local councils may prioritise the restriction of traffic and noise pollution in their neighbourhood. At present, Melville Council is currently debating whether to approve a business application regarding the local development of a wave park based on these very grounds.


To make sure all your bases are covered, the best approach is to streamline your planning process. If you are leasing commercial property, ensure that you research your chosen area to ascertain which district will best suit your type of business.  If you are considering an older suburb (such as Subiaco, Victoria Park or Fremantle) or a character building, be sure to check with the relevant local council for heritage listings, as these usually have a very particular set of regulations and modifications that need to be adhered to.


Most local councils receive an enormous number of planning or building applications from new and existing businesses every year, and these can range from an internal shop renovation to an alfresco area with seating at the front of the property. It is always a good idea to submit these applications to local council as soon as possible, as they can often take several months to be approved. Provide plenty of detail to help simplify and streamline the assessment process. Sometimes, the council may request that additional clarification or modifications be made prior to final approval, so be sure to take this into account when planning a new development on commercial property.


By conducting research and planning ahead from the very outset, you can save yourself plenty of time and effort when delving into commercial property. While it is always a good idea to begin with zoning restrictions, it is also important to ascertain whether any specific approvals or permits may also be required.  If you are still in any doubt or would like more information, contact Altegra Property Group, your commercial property experts, on 9221 1666 or at info@altegraproperty.com.au today.

What are you looking for?